Jenna's Two Cents Blog   
Website: JennaEsposito.com   

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Tony DeSare, The Nightlife Awards, and The Best Cast Party EVER!

Well, hello all!

I've had a great week so far - and it's not over yet!

On Sunday evening, I went (for the second week in a row) to hear Tony DeSare at Bemelmans Bar. What a perfect way to spend a Sunday evening - in a classy bar with GREAT music! It was packed again and Tony managed to put a smile on everyone's face with his amazing piano playing and smooth, easy vocals. He's back there on Sunday, February 3rd from 9-12, so if you're not watching the Superbowl (I will be - go Giants!), head over to Bemelmans!

On Monday evening, I headed to Town Hall for the annual Nightlife Awards. These awards honor top performers in jazz, cabaret and comedy - and the really cool thing is that, instead of giving acceptance speeches, the performers do what they do best - perform! In addition to the award recipients, there were a couple of "special guest" performers to round out the show...and what a show it was! With performances by Marilyn Maye, Christine Pedi, Hilary Kole, Allan Harris, Lari White, and a slew of other incredibly talented performers, it was definitely the hot ticket in town!


Right after the curtain came down at Town Hall, I ran (and I do mean RAN - in 3 1/2 inch heels, no less!) to Birdland so I could catch most of Cast Party and boy, am I glad I did! Not only was it an awesome, talent-packed 3 hours, but TONY BENNETT was there! Yes, THE Tony Bennett! And somehow, I gathered up the courage to sing "I Wanna Be Around," one of his major hits, in front of him! I was introduced to him after I sang and got a great picture taken with him! How cool is that?! Tony Bennett-related excitement aside, this truly was one of the best Cast Parties I've ever been to. A good percentage of the talented folks who were at the Nightlife Awards ended up heading over to Birdland, including Hilary Kole, Lari White, Christine Pedi, Natalie Douglas, Billy Stritch, Marilyn Maye, Klea Blackhurst, and Randy Jones (yep, the Cowboy from The Village People)! Birdland was busting at the seams with talent, and I was thrilled to be in the thick of it! It was the kind of the night I'd always envisioned before moving to New York, and it really happened - schmoozing at a famous jazz club with famous singers and Broadway stars...and getting to sing for them! Seriously, does it get any better?!
Tonight, I'm headed to the Metropolitan Room for my other favorite open mic - Metrojam. Hosted by Joe Bachana, and featuring a "house band" of John DiPinto on piano, Ritt Henn on bass, and Bobby Sher on drums, it is the place to be on the first Friday night of every month. If you're in the city and looking for something to do, come on by - it runs from 10 p.m. to midnight.
That's about it for now - hopefully my next post will be to cheer the Giants' victory on Sunday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home