Jenna's Two Cents Blog   
Website: JennaEsposito.com   

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

MAC nomination and other fun things!

Hello All!
Wow, I can't believe it's been 2 weeks since my last post! It's been a very busy month, with preparing for my new show, Takin' A Chance On Love AND trying to see as many shows as possible. So, first, some excellent news - I've received a MAC nomination for best female vocalist, and I'm shocked and thrilled all at the same time! No matter the outcome at the actual awards, I'm truly honored to have been selected as a nominee! The two shows for which I was nominated are SMOOCH! and 13 Men...and Me! Since I know that not all MAC voters were able to make it to the shows the first time around, I'm doing my best to let them be seen before ballots are due! There is now a clip of SMOOCH! on YouTube (you can view it by clicking here), and I will be bringing 13 Men...and Me! back to the Metropolitan Room for a special encore performance on Sunday, April 6th at 9:30 p.m. I was originally planning to do my new show on that date, but feel that it's more important at this point in time to allow voters to see my nominated work! And I have to say, I'm thrilled to be bringing 13 Men back. That show was such a joy for me to work on and I'm very happy to have another chance to share it. Takin' A Chance On Love has one more performance scheduled right now, and that's Sunday, March 30th at 7 p.m. at the Metropolitan Room. Our opening on this past Monday evening was great, and I can't wait to do the show again - if you're in town and able to make it, I'd love to see you there!
So, okay...enough about me (although this IS my blog!)...let me write about some of the shows I've seen recently! In my last blog, I mentioned that I was looking forward to seeing Macbeth at BAM on Friday, March 14th. Well, I was most certainly not disappointed. What a production! Going into the play, I'd been very much looking forward to seeing Patrick Stewart in the title role, but I have to say that he was completely overshadowed by Kate Fleetwood as Lady M. She was absolutely incredible! And that's not to say that Patrick Stewart was bad. He was actually very good, but just dwarfed a bit by Ms. Fleetwood's monster performance (in my humble opinion)! As a whole, the production was very well done - I don't want to give away too much, in case any readers are planning on seeing it when it moves to Broadway (I know I'm certainly going to be going again!), but I will say that Rupert Goold's direction was spot-on, and the acting, in general, was superb.
The following night, I went to see August: Osage County on Broadway, and was just blown away. Again, the acting was exemplary, and the direction very, very good. This modern-day dysfunctional family drama is a must-see in my opinion, and I'm certain that it is going to be dissected in many a college theatre class for years to come!
On the following Thursday, I went to see Joan Crowe's show, The Key of Comedy at the Metropolitan Room, and I really had a great time! Joan has been making a name for herself as the "funny jazz chick," and has been working hard on trying to "inject a little humor into the world of jazz," so the show was full of fun numbers by legends such as Cab Calloway, Fats Waller, Louis Jordan, Slim Gailliard, Dave Frishberg, and Bob Dorough. Joined by Tedd Firth (musical director) on piano, Jay Leonhart on bass, Matt Wilson on bass, and with a special guest performance by composer Bob Dorough, Joan put on a highly entertaining show that kept the audience grinning the whole time!
Tonight, I'm headed up to the River Room of Harlem to hear my friend Julian Yeo as he kicks off their Wednesday night vocalist series. I've never been there before, but it looks from the website like the room has a GORGEOUS view of the river and the G.W. Bridge, and I always enjoy listening to Julian, so it should be a fun evening! Oh! And after Julian's show, I'll be on the radio with Joey Reynolds - I'm scheduled to go on around midnight, and you can stream the show live through the radio station's website - just click here!
That's about all for now! Will touch base with another update soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home