Jenna's Two Cents Blog   
Website: JennaEsposito.com   

Friday, April 04, 2008

The River Room, Rita Moreno, and Last Chance for 13 Men...and Me!

Greetings, all!

Well, when I left off last, I was headed to the River Room of Harlem to catch Julian Yeo and his band...and I'm pleased to report that I had a fantastic time! The room is absolutely gorgeous - the building actually sits above the Hudson River, and the north wall of the room is all glass, so there is an incredible view of the river and the George Washington Bridge. Additionally, the food is terrific, and the band that night was swingin'! Julian always does a great selection of music, and brings a fun, easy-going sensibility to his songs. AND he surrounds himself with some of the best musicians in the city - on this evening it was Jesse Gelber on piano, Doug Largent on bass, Nick Russo on guitar, Rob Garcia on drums, and Alan Grubner on violin.
And speaking of the River Room, I'll be back there on Wednesday, April 9th to catch Joe Bachana from 7-10 -can't wait! With a $10 cover, no minimum, great music, fantastic food, and an unbelievable view, this Wednesday night vocalist series is a hard act to beat!

Last weekend, I had a couple of shows, so a big thank you to everyone who came out to support me. On Saturday night, I was at Monticello Gaming and Raceway with my show 13 Men...and Me!, and on Sunday, I was back at the Metropolitan Room with my newest show, Takin' A Chance On Love. And THIS Sunday, April 6th, I'll be at the Metropolitan Room again with a special encore performance of 13 Men...and Me! in honor of my MAC Award nomination. I want to make sure as many MAC voters as possible have a chance to see the show before voting, so we're bringing the show back for one night only! Seriously, though, MAC voters or not, I would be thrilled to see the Metropolitan Room overflowing with people on Sunday night, so get those reservations in (212-206-0440)! The show is at 9:30 p.m., and seating will begin at around 9 p.m. Hope you can make it!

Before I sign off, I must write about my Tuesday night - I had the honor of seeing Rita Moreno's show at Feinstein's, and what a treat that was! Having the distinction of winning all four major awards (Oscar, Tony, Emmy, and Grammy), she is a living legend and I was very happy to be able to catch her show. At 76 years old, she is still going strong - she looks gorgeous, and is an extremely engaging performer. One of my favorite numbers was Kander and Ebbs, "Class," during which Ms. Moreno engaged in some obnoxiously UN-classy antics, such as rudely sllllluuuuurrrrrrping her tea, and sucking on a ridiculously large piece of candy, clicking it against her teeth, and ultimately chomping it with a loud CRRRUNCH! She is one of the best storytellers I've seen, seamlessly transitioning her musical numbers with funny, entertaining, personal stories that drew the audience in and put them at ease. Altogether, a great night at one of the classiest rooms in town! And, as a bonus, on my way out, I saw George Steinbrenner walking into the Regency (complete with entourage) after the Yankees had won their home opener! Go Yanks! (I was at the stadium last night to see them win their 2nd game of the year - woohoo!)

That's about it for now - hope to see you at the Metropolitan Room on Sunday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home