Jenna's Two Cents Blog   
Website: JennaEsposito.com   

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Finally!

Hello all! Sorry for the delay - I've been out and about most nights, and with a day job at a hedge fund (and in the current financial climate, things have been ever-so-slightly hectic there!), I've been hard-pressed to find the time to write! I've got a lot of ground to make up, so without further ado, let me share what I've been up to for the past several weeks!

On Sunday, September 7th, I had the pleasure of catching Deb Berman's show at the Metropolitan Room. I'd heard Deb sing a number of times at open mics around town and was really happy to be able to see a full-length show of hers. Backed by a fantastic band led by musical director Barry Levitt, Deb wound her way through a great selection of tunes (among my favorites were "Four," "One Note Samba," and "I've Got A Lot of Livin' To Do"), lending her warm, smooth voice and jazzy sensibilities to each number. A most enjoyable show!

On Tuesday, September 9th, it was off to Don't Tell Mama to see Marty Geiger in his show, Summer Baby. I've known Marty for a few years, mostly from seeing him all over town at other people's shows, so it was nice to be able to see him up onstage, doing his own show! Directed by Lina Koutrakos, Summer Baby was very well constructed with Marty relating anecdotes (some silly, some touching) about growing up as a "summer baby" and using them help navigate the song selection. Favorite selections of mine (and, judging by their reactions, the audience in general!) were "Summer Nights" from Grease (sung with musical director Paul Greenwood performing the female part!), "Too Darn Hot" from Kiss Me Kate, and that good ol' summertime classic, "Sealed With a Kiss." Marty's easygoing personality and sheer love of being onstage shone through in his work and truly endeared him to the sold out room!

On Thursday, September 11th, it was opening night of On The Rocks with Danny Leary at the Duplex - what a blast! I wrote about On The Rocks a few times back in the spring, because it is SUCH a fun night out...and the season premiere did not disappoint! Having been on hiatus for the summer, Danny put together a fantastic opening night lineup, including comedians Shawn Hollenbach, Leah Dubie, H. Alan Scott, Wendy Ho, and musical guest - yours truly! As a matter of fact, I'm now a regular fixture in the show; I perform one song a week as the "resident retro-pop chanteuse!" Danny was in rare form, himself, and did a super job of hosting the evening and mixing in some of his own great stand-up material.

On Saturday, September 13th, I was back at the Metropolitan Room, this time to see Dane Vannatter in Alone Together: A Tony Bennett Album. I'd heard wonderful things about Dane from a number of respected sources, so I was happy to finally be able to catch a show of his! Blessed with a truly beautiful voice, Dane wound his way through the songs of the Bennett album, explaining along the way that it was this particular album, which he'd found in his father's record collection at an early age, that made him want to be a singer. I can't say that I blame him - the songs are terrific! In addition to "Alone Together," other songs included "I'm Always Chasing Rainbows," "After You've Gone," and "That's All." I had a great time and look forward to seeing more of Dane the next time he's in town!

I returned to the Metropolitan Room on Sunday, September 14th to see Miles Phillips and Karen Oberlin in their show, The Pleasure of Your Company. As a fan of both of their work as individual artists, it was truly a treat to see them performing together. They each performed several solos, and joined forces on a couple of great duets - including a very touching "Something Good" from The Sound of Music. Musical director Tracy Stark also joined in the vocal fun on a few numbers, including "I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outta My Hair" from South Pacific and Coffee, which was written by Tracy herself! The free and easy banter between Miles and Karen added to the fun of the show and made the audience feel as if they were just hanging out with two friends - who happened to be lending their very lovely voices to a terrific lineup of songs! Miles and Karen will be back at the Metropolitan Room with The Pleasure of Your Company on Sunday, September 12th at 4 p.m. - which means that you can go see them, grab a bite to eat, and then come back and see me in Takin' a Chance on Love at 7 p.m.!

On Wednesday, September 17th, I went back to the Metropolitan Room to see Joe Bachana's solo show for a second time (I wasn't kidding when I said I said I enjoyed it a few posts ago!) and then on Thursday, September 18th, it was back to the Duplex for another On The Rocks with Danny Leary. This time, we were joined by Scott Barbarino and the Bevnaps (mentioned in an earlier post by me!) and comedians Susan Alexander, Dave Rubin, and Rachel Feinstein. Again, it was a ton o' fun!

Now, speaking of On The Rocks with Danny Leary, I've got another performance in that tomorrow, so I'd better be getting to bed to rest the ol' vocal cords! I've still got a bunch of shows to write about (Shaynee Rainbolt at the Highline Ballroom, the concert at Tudor City Greens, Laurie Krauz at the Laurie Beechman, and Cynthia Crane at the Metropolitan Room among them), so check back for another post soon!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home