Jenna's Two Cents Blog   
Website: JennaEsposito.com   

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Happy September!

Hello All!
Apologies for slacking on the posts - it was a busy, busy summer! Vacation? What's that?!!
I spent the first portion of the summer working hard on my Connie Francis show, and the second half mixing the live recording of the show! We're SO close to being finished on the recording, which is very exciting! Our release date is set for November 3rd, and we'll be doing a special CD Release Party at the Metropolitan Room to celebrate!
In between the day job, the performing, and the mixing, I've also managed to squeeze in quite a few shows, which I've written about in my Broadway World column - you can read the latest article by clicking here. While I don't have time to write about all of the shows in this post, there are definitely a few that stand out in my mind - like seeing Connie Francis AND Frankie Valli sharing the bill at a FREE concert at Coney Island...unbelievable! Connie is just such a special performer...she has a vulnerability and raw emotional quality in her singing that just draws you in and embraces you. It's hard to put into words; it's more something you have to experience...and boy am I happy that I've had the opportunity to do so! Frankie Valli sounded incredible, and the "Four Seasons" (NOT the originals, but four terrifically talented young men!) were spot on with their harmonies and choreography. The crowd was huge - probably between 9,000 and 10,000 people, and everyone had an absolute blast!

Another standout for me was seeing Tony DeSare at Bemelmans Bar. I've seen Tony a number of times before and there's a reason I keep going back to see him - he's THAT good! He's got a smooth, jazzy, easy-to-listen-to voice, and his piano playing is amazing! He always puts on a classy, entertaining show, mixing in well-loved standards with his own compositions (many of which sound like they should be well-loved standards), and has an easygoing, understated charm that makes him a pleasure to watch and listen to.

Klea Blackhurst in Everything The Traffic Will Allow, her acclaimed tribute to Ethel Merman, was also another favorite of mine. I just saw the show a few weeks ago at the Snapple Theater Center (where the revival of The Fantasticks) is playing, and I'm still in awe. Klea is an amazingly gifted singer and actress, which, combined with the excellent material and entertaining anecdotes in this show, make for a quite remarkable evening.

What's coming up next for me, you ask? Well, I've got to stop writing in a minute or two so I can dash off to sing and chat on the Barry Z show, then I'm running downtown to catch KT Sullivan performing at the newest venue in town, Kathleen Downey's Granite Room, which is located under City Hall Restaurant.

That's all I've got time for right now, but check back for another update soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home