Jenna's Two Cents Blog   
Website: JennaEsposito.com   

Saturday, September 02, 2006

A couple of great shows

So, after taking a few days to rest up from my Colorado trip, I was ready to see some shows. On Thursday night, I went to see Three Men and a Baby Grand at the Metropolitan Room. The show was a tribute to the Rat Pack performed by Johnny Rodgers, Lee Lessack, and Brian Lane Green. It was a terrific, toe-tapping show. They cleverly performed an original opening number that explained their purpose, which was not to imitate or try to BE the Rat Pack, but to humbly pay tribute to them, which they did very, very well. Highlights included an interesting interweaving of "Strangers in the Night," "Night and Day" and "I've Got You Under My Skin," a kickin' "That's Life" and an audience sing-a-long on "That's Amore." Overall a really fun night. I was joined by my sister and my friend Angela, as well as one of my new best friends from cabaret camp, Sue Matsuki.
The following night, my friend Angela and I ventured out again to hear some jazz. We went to the Bacchus Room at Bona Fides Restaurant to hear the Michael Blanco Quintet. I first heard Michael Blanco play bass at Lennie Watts' show last month, and I really enjoyed his playing. In fact, I enjoyed it so much that I've booked him to play my October 6th show at the Laurie Beechman! On Friday night, though, it was just him and his band playing some of his original jazz compositions. Wow. It was great! And it was the perfect night for jazz - cold and rainy...I got myself a nice glass of shiraz, sat back and enjoyed. Definitely check him out the next time his group plays!
Tomorrow night, I'm heading to the Bradstan to see Jeanne MacDonald and then Monday night, it's back to Cast Party. I missed a few weeks of Cast Party while I was at cabaret camp, so it will be good to get back!
That's about all for now, but rest assured, I'll have more to report soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home