Jenna's Two Cents Blog   
Website: JennaEsposito.com   

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Ann Hampton Callaway, Sidney Myer, Cast Party, and More!

Happy Tuesday! As you can probably tell from the title of this entry, I had a busy cabaret-going weekend. I had planned to go to The After Party at the Laurie Beechman on Friday, but sometimes even divas need a rest! I got home from my voice lesson after putting in a full day at work, and I just crashed. Saturday, however, was a new day and I woke up refreshed and ready to hit the ground running. My first stop was at a senior center on 190th Street for my first ever performance with Vocal Ease,. Vocal Ease is a non-profit volunteer singing organization that brings live entertainment to the sick and elderly in hospitals, nursing homes, senior centers, and residences throughout New York City, and is headed up by Eva Swan. Eva performed, too, along with two other fabulous young singers, and Sheldon Forrest accompanyied us. The seniors loved it - we did mostly standards, and they were singing and swaying along. What a great way to spend an afternoon!
After that, I met my folks for dinner and then we headed over to Dizzy's Club Coca-Cola at Columbus Circle to hear the fabulous Ann Hampton Callaway. I've seen Ann a number of time before, and she never ceases to amaze me. What an incredible instrument she has. And it's not just her voice that's impressive...it's her warmth, her ease, her way of breathing new life into lyrics, her witty banter. I'd been hoping to make it down to Rose's Turn to see Hector Coris in his last performance of "What's Your Problem?" but unfortunately, I didn't get out of Ann's show in time. So, I went across the street to Starbucks, grabbed a coffee, then went back to hear Ann's 11:30 set, since I'd had so much fun at her first show of the night! I'm glad I went back. Not only did she change some of the songs, but I also ran into my friend Barbara Brussell, who was there to see the show! I guess great minds think alike...
After getting a good night's sleep on Saturday, I was geared up for the Roast/Toast/Tribute to Sidney Myer which was held Sunday evening at the Lucille Lorel Theatre in Greenwich Village. What a show! Over three hours long with an all-star cast paying tribute to a man who has given so, so much to the cabaret community. Afterwards, the crowd headed to the D-Lounge for the after-party where we could mingle and schmooze and snack. Fun, fun, fun. I got home at around 12:30 (not too bad, actually!) and geared up for my Monday.
Which brings us to...Monday! (surprise, surprise). I headed over to the Laurie Beechman for the 7:00 show yesterday, which was a very talented young songwriter, Adam Wagner, joined by a fabulous cast (Justin Bohon, Andrea Burns, Chris Fuller, Aaron Kaburick, Katie Klaus, Benjamin Magnuson) to sing some of his songs. They were joined by musical director Zachary Dietz at the piano, Julie Danielson on bass, and Sean Hagerty on violin. What a terrific show. I was really impressed with the songs. Clever, funny, witty, touching. Adam's only 23 years old - I cannot wait to see where he goes. If you get a chance to hear his music, go!!!
After that show, I grabbed a coffee from Starbucks (hmmm...does anyone sense a theme here?) and headed over to my Monday night home, Cast Party. We had a great crew there last night - at my table alone, we had Christine Lavin, Mark Aaron James, Joan Crowe (who is doing a show tonight at Sweet Rhythm), Sue Matsuki, and Maureen Taylor. Billy Stritch was on piano, with Steve Doyle on bass, Jim Caruso was his usual witty, charming self...it was a great night!
Hope you're all having a great week...will update soon with my picks for the weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home