Jenna's Two Cents Blog   
Website: JennaEsposito.com   

Monday, September 18, 2006

Sue Matsuki, Lascivious Biddies and More!

aHappy Monday, everyone! Yes, it's the beginning of what looks to be another terrific week. Last night, I had the absolute pleasure of seeing Sue Matsuki's "Jam 'N Toasts: The Lost Set" at the Metropolitan Room. Now, if you remember from my last blog entry, I had been planning on doing a double header and seeing Karen Oberlin's show first, but unfortunately, I had a rehearsal scheduled at the last minute, so I couldn't make it. I heard fabulous things about it, though. Anyway, back to Sue's show. It was such an easy, easy show to watch. Sue is a very warm, giving performer - so in addition to the excellent musicianship and interpretations she displayed, the audience was relaxed and felt taken care of from the get-go. Highlights for me included an original blues tune that Sue co-wrote with her musical director Gregory Toroian (I'm not sure of the exact title, but it was something along the lines of "White Girls Can't Sing the Blues Blues"), a great arrangement of "I Wish You Love," and a really touching delivery of "Here's to Life." Sue just sparkled the entire night and I couldn't believe it when the show ended - it seemed much too soon!
Speaking of Sue...she and I are going to head over to Birdland tonight to catch the Lascivious Biddies at 7, and then stick around for Cast Party. I've heard the Biddies a number of times at Cast Party, and they are always fantastic. I'm looking forward to reporting on their show later this week.
On Wednesday, I'll be performing in a show called "Random" at the Duplex at 7 p.m. It's put together by a good friend of mine, Ryan Jons. Ryan is a really talented singer/songwriter and this show is an ongoing project of his that he likes to refer to as a "musical notebook." I'll be doing a solo piece and a duet, both beautiful songs. If you're able to come, I'd love to see you there. There's also one more performance, next Thursday (9/28) at 7 p.m.
That's about it for now...will have more to report soon!
Enjoy your week. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home