Jenna's Two Cents Blog   
Website: JennaEsposito.com   

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Rainy Days and Mondays...

Well, it isn't Monday, but boy, is it raining! Actually, I rather enjoy it, except the problem is it makes me just want to curl up with a glass of red wine and a good book, which would be very nice, but not too terribly productive. So, picking up from last week...I had such a fabulous Saturday night! First, I went with my dad to see Jamie deRoy and Friends at Symphony Space. Her guests that night were Leslie Kritzer, Eric Bergen, Deven May, Kathy Brier, and Larry Gatlin! It was a terrific show. The first half was Jamie, Leslie, Eric, Deven and Kathy (terrific, all!), and the second half was all Larry Gatlin, who was absolutely incredible. Before he sang, he mentioned that he'd had three throat surgeries, so I wasn't sure what his voice would be like, but wow! Absolutely beautiful. He did a bunch of Gatlin Brothers songs, and the time just flew by. There was a reception afterwards, so we mingled at that for a while, and Dad got to talk to Larry Gatlin, which made his night! Then we headed down to the piano bar at Helen's, which is always fun. Dad had never been there, so I wanted him to see what it was like. We ran into Jeanne MacDonald, who had performed her show there that evening, and she treated everyone to a few songs at the piano bar, which was great. She's extended her run for one more night, so I'm going to go see it then - next Friday, November 17th - looking forward to it! That's going to be a really fun night, because before Jeanne's show, Colm Reilly (co-owner of Helen's, fabulous singer, and all-around great guy) is going to be doing his new Roy Orbison show - I can't wait to see it!
But I digress...so, Dad and I hung out at the piano bar, I sang a few tunes, we had a blast, and before we knew it, it was two in the morning, so we headed back to Brooklyn to hit the sack. On Sunday, I spent a good portion of the afternoon hanging up posters and handing out flyers in the Times Square area. The posters are for the upcoming Broadway Unplugged show at Town Hall, which is going to be fantastic. It's on Monday, November 13th at 8 p.m., and is going to feature a host of Broadway stars singing without amplification - yep, the old fashioned way! It's the third year of it, and although I haven't been to one before, I've heard it's really incredible, so I'm really looking forward to seeing it next week!
On Monday evening, I headed to my own neighborhood in Brooklyn to check out Debra and Mary's Night on the Town, the weekly show put on by Debra Barsha and Mary Cleere Haran at Biscuit BBQ (formerly Night and Day Restaurant). They have a special guest star every week, and this week, it was Michael Quinn, a wonderfully talented singer, writer, and lyricist, so I thought it was the perfect opportunity to check out the scene. I had great time. Debra is a super-talented composer and pianist, and Mary Cleere Haran is one of the biggest and best cabaret singers in the country, so having the two of them together is a great treat! The show was a lot of fun - as it was Election Day Eve, there was plenty of political satire, and the audience had a blast. After the show, we raced back into Manhattan to catch the second half of Cast Party, which was (as usual) lots of fun.
Last night, I met with my director to work on my February show (Friday February 2nd, and Friday, February 9th, 9 p.m. at the Laurie Beechman, hint hint!), then I headed over to Sweet Rhythm to hear Mary Foster Conklin in her tribute to the music of Matt Dennis. I'd been hearing about the show from a lot of people and was really excited to get a chance to hear it myself. It was a really great, jazzy show. Mary Foster sang with a 5-piece band (piano, bass, guitar, drums, and sax), and her voice seemed to know no bounds. Seamless and smoky, with a lower register to die for. I'm really happy I was able to catch her!
Tonight, I'm headed to the Metropolitan Room to see Mychelle Colleary in her show Enter the November Nebula with Shirley Temple's Evil Twin. How's THAT for a title?! Mychelle's got a dynamite voice, so I'm really looking forward to the show.
That's about all for now - check back for an update soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home