Jenna's Two Cents Blog   
Website: JennaEsposito.com   

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Sunday in New York

New York on Sunday...ah yes, what a beautiful day today was. I spent part of my afternoon doing a performance with Vocal Ease at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, which was actually a lot of fun. Vocal is is a non-profit volunteer singing organization that brings shows to hospitals and nursing homes all over the city. It's headed up by Eva Swan, who does a terrific job of organizing all of the shows and is a great performer, herself. Besides Eva, the performers today were me and my friend Hector Coris and we were accompanied by Sheldon Forrest on piano. It was a great show and the audience was truly appreciative, which was nice.
Now, to backtrack a little bit and cover the rest of the weekend...I had my first performance of I Hate Men: Songs for the Scorned at the Laurie Beechman Theater and it was an absolute blast! That was my first time playing that room, and I must say, what a great room it was to play! The stage is bigger than most cabaret stages, so as a performer, I felt like I could breathe a bit, and the tables are also much more spread out than the tables in other cabaret rooms, so the audience also has room to breathe, and I believe they were much more receptive to the show, being so comfortable! I was really, really happy with the show, and I cannot wait to do it again this coming Friday - hope you can make it!!
Last night, I'd been planning to see Jeanne MacDonald at Helen's, but I unexpectedly ended up getting a ticket to go see Defying Gravity: The Music of Stephen Schwartz, which was a one-night-only show at Drew University in Madison, NJ. Now, the music of Stephen Schwartz alone would have been enough to attract me, but the lineup of performers was unbelieveable: Liz Callaway, Debbie Gravitte and Scott Coulter. I'd seen Liz and Scott before, and had heard wonderful things about Debbie, and I was not disappointed! Liz Callaway does, hands-down, the absolute best version of Meadowlark, and of course, that was included last night - I was a happy girl! All three performers sang beautifully and enjoyed a camaraderie with each other that was very special and made the show all the more enjoyable. What a terrific night.
Tomorrow, of course, is Cast Party, and I will be there with bells on. My dad came with me last week, which was really fun, and he might be joining me again tomorrow - yay!
Hope everyone had a terrific weekend - will post an update soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home